The accessory dwelling unit (ADU) refers to a self-contained structure that usually includes a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living space, but is built on the same property as the main residence. Also called a granny or in-law suite, backyard cottage or guest house, an ADU allows you to expand your housing options for all ages and abilities. You should definitely consider having one built if you have the space and budget for it.
What You Should Know About Accessory Dwelling Units
A Home and Community Preferences Survey conducted by the AARP in 2018 reveals that 84% of people ages 50 and older consider adding an ADU to their property to provide a home for a loved one in need of care. About 83% of them want to so they can provide housing for relatives or friends while 64% say that an ADU would make them feel safer because they’ll have people living nearby.
The rapid aging population in the U.S., along with the influx of young adults moving back with their parents, has created a demand for a flexible and cost-effective housing option that can meet the needs of both old and young people alike. Accessory dwelling units are that option. They had been popular back in the early twentieth century, but saw a decline at the end of World War II, only to reemerge as a beneficial choice for many homeowners. ADUs come in different shapes and types. They can be:
- Located within or attached to the main house (basement, attic, or a second floor)
- Detached from the main house itself
- Converted from an existing structure, such as the garage
- Built from the ground up
As with most home remodeling projects, adding an ADU to your home or property means taking into account many important factors, including:
- Cost: An ADU construction is less expensive than building a single-family home, but it will still cost you a fair bit. You’ll need a structural framework, roofing system, windows, doors, exterior cladding, plumbing, lighting and electricity – all of which adds to the overall expenses
- Zoning laws: Make sure to check in with your local building department about the rules regarding ADUs, along with information on what permits, utility connections or fees are involved with the project.
- Accessibility: You can customize your ADU so it has safety and mobility features that your elderly family members can appreciate.
How Accessory Dwelling Units Benefit You
You’ll find that ADUs are a worthy investment because of the following advantages:
- Cost-Effective Housing for Family Members
If you have an elderly parent you want to keep nearby or adult children moving back in with you, then an ADU is the perfect solution to their housing needs. This way, you can comfortably accommodate them without the need to give up their independence or privacy.
- Temporary Living Space for Short-Term Guests
Hosting guests overnight during a holiday is easier and more convenient when you have an ADU. Both you and your guests will remain comfortable since everyone has their private space and sleeping arrangements. This certainly beats offering the couch or your own bed just to make their stay more pleasant.
- Passive Income
ADUs can be rented out because they have their own entrance, kitchen, bathroom and living area. This gives you an opportunity to earn passive income, either on a monthly basis or every now and then. That extra cash will be especially handy for your own personal living expenses and savings.
- Higher Property Value
Having an ADU built can actually increase your property’s resale value. In fact, a study by the National Association of Realtors shows that a majority of potential home buyers are willing to pay extra for a home with an ADU on the property.
Why You Should Work With Bay Valley Contractors
Having an existing room remodeled is challenging enough, but a home addition will take this to a different level. You’ll need to have a completely new space built, which means you have additional factors to take into account. But you won’t have to go through this on your own. You can easily take most of the stress out of your home addition by working with a trusted company like Bay Valley Contractors. We’re not just your go-to expert in solar roofing installation–we can also handle your ADU construction.
Here’s what makes us one of the leading home remodeling companies in the Contra Costa, Alameda, and Solano counties:
- Qualified: Bay Valley Contractors is eligible to perform roofing and home remodeling work in the area. We are fully licensed, bonded and insured for your greater protection. Not only that – our team members have workers’ compensation and liability coverage, keeping you secure in the off chance something untoward happens in your property during the project.
- Experienced: For over three decades, Bay Valley Contractors has provided homeowners in and around Concord, CA, with high-quality roofing and remodeling solutions. We know just how challenging adding a new space to your property can be. When you choose us for the job, our skilled and friendly team will work with you from design consultation to project completion. This not only saves you money, but also allows for more cohesive results that fulfills your remodeling goal.
- Proven reliable: Bay Valley Contractors values quality and clear communication. We’ll listen closely to your wants and needs, and draw up a design plan that meets them. We’ll keep you updated throughout the process, answering any questions and addressing any concerns you might have. Our goal is to deliver more-than-satisfactory results – we continue to make it possible through exceptional workmanship and personalized service.
- Well-reviewed: You’ll get a clearer idea of our workmanship quality when you check our Testimonials. Our commitment to providing full customer satisfaction is reflected in every starred review pleased clients leave us on Google My Business, and the A+ Rating we maintain with the Better Business Bureau. Room additions or roof replacement, we’ll make sure to exceed your expectations in the best way.
- Certified: Bay Valley Contractors doesn’t just specialize in home additions – we can also manage your new roof installations. We are a GAF Certified Master Elite® roofing contractor, placing us among the top 3% of roofers nationwide. This means you can expect only unmatched roofing products and services – plus industry-leading warranty coverage – when you turn to us for your roof installation.
Whether it’s professional solar roofing installation or quality home addition, Bay Valley Contractors will definitely deliver high-quality results. Call us today at (925) 705-7889, or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We proudly serve Concord, CA, plus the Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano counties. We look forward to hearing from you!