A room addition offers a simple and effective way to expand available space in your home, which in turn, allows you to meet a few specific needs. Whether you need a home office or entertainment center, an in-law suite or crafts room, this upgrade has you covered. But how exactly do you get started on your room addition?
- Make a plan. There are many things to consider with a room addition. For starters, you’ll need to decide where the new space is located. Will it be an extension of an existing room, or is it going to be a separate structure? Are you planning to build up instead of out? Zoning laws and property values are another thing to keep in mind. You’ll want to make sure your addition won’t interfere with utility lines or pipes nor should it create a negative impact on your home’s appearance from the curb.
- Research and acquire permits. You’ll need to obtain approval from your homeowner’s association (HOA) and local building division when planning a room addition. Understanding the specific building codes in your area and acquiring the necessary permits can help you avoid issues later on in the process.
- Set a clear budget. Nobody likes sticker shock in their room addition, so take the time to create a suitable budget. Researching materials and their costs – and landing on a specific style or décor before meeting up with your remodeler – will help reduce your chances of overspending.
- Work with a reliable home remodeler. Much of your project’s success will depend on them. To ensure you’re working with the right professional for the job, make sure to do the following:
- Check their credentials: license, bond and insurance.
- Ask for a list of references – the more updated, the better.
- Look them up online, and check the reviews they’ve received from previous clients.
- Meet up with them (virtually or otherwise) via an interview to get a “feel” of how they interact with possible clients.
Aside from expert gutter installation, Bay Valley Contractors also offers high-quality remodeling services. We’ll make sure you get the most of your room addition with our extensive and customizable solutions. Call us today at (925) 705-7889, or fill out this contact form to schedule your home evaluation. We proudly serve the areas in and around Concord, CA, along with the Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano counties.